Interested in converting/compiling LESS files into their CSS counterparts?
Here are the steps (from version 4 of WebStorm from JetBrains).
1. Install Node JS
2. Install the node package (using npm) for less (remember where you install this as you’ll need the path later):
npm install less
3. In WebStorm, File > Settings, then under the IDE Settings heading, select External Tools.
4. Click on the + icon to add a new tool:
5. You’ll see a dialog very much like this:
6. Fill it out like this (substitute whatever you’d like of course):
I chose not to have the console window open every time the compilation occurs.
"###YOUR PATH TO LESSC###\lessc" $FilePath$ "$FileDir$\$FileNameWithoutExtension$.css"
I tried using the Working Directory option and it also worked inconsistently with Node. So, I used the options you see above and it seemed to work more consistently.
7. I also added a shortcut so I could execute it on demand:
I picked Ctrl+Alt+L, as it was memorable (and available!).
While this is not using a file watcher technique (you could do that if you’d like instead), it works well enough for my workflow.