If you’re seeing a credentials prompt every time you launch a local IIS or IIS Express web application that requires Windows Authentication, you’ll likely grow as tired of typing in your password as I was. To add to the annoyance, the Remember my credentials checkbox doesn’t work (nothing is saved).
- Windows 8
- Visual Studio 2012, .NET 4.5,
- ASP.NET MVC web application
- Non domain-joined computer (it’s on my home network)
- Using a Microsoft account (FKA Live ID) as the local account
- Using IIS Express/IIS
- Windows Authentication Enabled
- Anonymous Logon Disabled
<system.webServer> <security> <authentication> <windowsAuthentication enabled="true" /> <anonymousAuthentication enabled="false" /> </authentication> </security> </system.webServer>
While there are a few proposed solutions, this is the only one that worked for me so far.
- Start Internet Explorer
- Click the settings Menu
- Select Internet options
- Click the Security tab
- Select Local intranet
- Click Sites
- Click Advanced
- Add http://localhost to the Local intranet zone
- Verify it’s now working.
Alternatives welcomed. :)