When I woke up this morning, I decided that I’d use the remote features of my Nest Thermostat to increase the temperature of the first floor as the normal schedule hadn’t started yet.
Here’s what I saw on my iPad:
First Floor: ?
When I tapped the Basement image, this alert was displayed:
“Thermostat Disconnected: The thermostat Basement last connected to nest.com more than 7 hours ago.”
I next checked the First Floor. Thankfully, it said that it had only been 17 minutes since it last connected. I’ve seen that issue before and it usually resolves. But, I’ve never seen one go more than about
50 53 minutes without reporting in.
The fact that I was using the iPad and the Nest application meant that WiFi Internet was available in our house.
I went to the Basement thermostat and noticed this glaring issue after clicking through to settings:
As I wasn’t sure what the best option was at 6:45AM for support, I decided to re-add the thermostat to our account. The thermostat had no trouble accessing the Nest cloud and obtaining one of the one time connection keys. (So, I maintain, it’s not general Internet connectivity issues).
After deleting and adding it back, the web site still reported it as MIA. So, I tried a reset:
After resetting, and waiting several minutes after it had completely restarted, it appeared again on the Nest web site.
However, 3 hours later:
It’s again, gone missing.
So, I called support this fine Sunday morning and talked to one of the same support engineers I’ve spoken with in the past (“DK”). I explained the general problem (and emphasized that my biggest concern was that it had lost my account information), my “solution”, and said that it was again not reporting in. In a typical (somewhat ironic) support fashion, as I was explaining the issue and walking to the basement, the thermostat reported in successfully to the Nest cloud.
He had me drop the account, add it to my account, and restart it again. He said that resolves the problem in about 70% of the cases. In the other 30%, he mentioned that they often manually update the firmware and that will help. [ugh]
I’m going to keep an eye on it and will add more details as needed/available.
If you want to talk and discuss more about digital thermostats with others, I’d suggest here: digtstat.com (it’s a web site I created to help provide a better place to have discussions about the Nest thermostat).